Monday 12 January 2015

Book Parties Don't Have to Cost Money

Posted by CreateSpaceBlogger on Dec 16, 2014 5:29:51 AM
No matter who publishes your book, I strongly believe that every author should have a launch party because writing an entire book is an accomplishment that deserves to be celebrated!Many indie authors, however, believe that launch parties cost a lot of money. They also believe that traditional publishers throw elaborate launch parties for all their authors.

Neither is true.

Each time I have a book come out, I have one launch party in New York, where I live, and one in Silicon Valley, where I grew up. My publisher doesn't pay for the parties, but neither do I. I don't pay for anything. I do, however, organize the events. And by "organize," I mean that I call up a bar and ask if I can have a book signing there. That's literally all I do. Most bar owners/managers would be thrilled to give you a table to sign books in exchange for your bringing in a small/medium/large group of patrons on a slow evening.

It's really that easy!

So there you go. There's nothing stopping you from doing exactly what I do. Find a cool bar on Yelp, call them up, ask to speak to the manager, and then have a friendly conversation. It might take a few calls to find the right venue, but you will find one. Then spread the word, sell some books, and enjoy! Who cares if you don't have any fans (yet)? Invite your family and friends. They will be happy to come!

NOTE: Don't forget to take photos, especially a few of yourself signing copies of your book. You might feel a little silly at the time, but trust me, it's not silly. Not at all!
You worked hard to become an author, so be proud of yourself and celebrate! You deserve it.

-Maria

https://createspacecommunity.s3.amazonaws.com/Resources Contributors/MurnaneHeadshot.jpg
Maria Murnane is a paid CreateSpace contributor. She is the award-winning author of the romantic comedies Perfect on Paper, It's a Waverly Life, Honey on Your Mind, Chocolate for Two, Cassidy Lane, and Katwalk. She also provides consulting services on book publishing and marketing. Learn more atwww.mariamurnane.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment